NCHEA Senator Breakfast at the Capitol – April 21, 2015
The NCHEA sponsored a breakfast for Nebraska state senators at the Capitol on the morning of April 21, 2015. Thirty-nine senators or senator staff members accepted the invitation, although not all were able to attend. The intent of the breakfast was to provide an opportunity for the NCHEA to present information regarding home education in Nebraska to the senators or their staff members. The agenda consisted of the following segments:
- Welcome by Senator Beau McCoy via video.
- Welcome by NCHEA Legislative Liaison Deb Badeer.
- NCHEA President Nick spoke about the NCHEA and its role in helping Nebraska home educators, as well as the number of students home educated in Nebraska. Nick also introduced Home School Legal Defense Association’s mission to the senators.
- NCHEA Legislative Liaison Dave Lostroh spoke on the History of Home Education in Nebraska, including LB 1141 (2008) and the ongoing (and troubling) attempts by the Nebraska Department of Education to change Rules 12 and 13. Dave also briefly explained Rules 12 and 13 to the senators.
- Deb Badeer spoke about home schooling in Nebraska today –curriculum, activities, successes, scores, careers. She also presented an information packet to each senator.
- Noelle Badeer Petersen and Alex Gage each spoke about their home school experience and their post homeschool activities
- Question and Answer session
This event is a part of the NCHEA’s ongoing plan to help our Nebraska legislators understand and appreciate home education and those who choose to undertake it.